Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Monday, August 09, 2010

Writing, loving, fearing, and enjoying flowers as resistance


Mahmoud Darwish, the voice of the Palestinian people, with this beautiful poem.
Palestinians are supposed to be dedicated to one subject -- liberating Palestine.
This is a prison.
We're human, we love, we fear death, we enjoy the first flowers of spring.
So to express this is resistance
against having out subject dictated to us.
If I write love poems,
I resist the conditions that don't allow me to write love poems.
Thinking in this way broadens the definition of resistance. it's what Palestinian call samoud, a steadfastness, a resistance against all odds.

I stole the poem from a trailer for a movie about Gaza called Where the Birds Should Fly - Mona's Story. See the trailer here:

No comments: