Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Shortage of translators shows lack of concern for Palestinian complaints

the military police station in the southern Israeli city of Beer Sheva, which is also responsible for processing complaints from Palestinians in the southern half of the West Bank, has put all testimonies of Palestinians on hold in the past four weeks because it has no translator.
I have made numerous complaints to Israeli police stations in my day, and have also accompanied many Palestinians making complaints against settlers or soldiers. Following the police station, I often consider inflicting pain on myself to overshadow the painful experience of being at the police station. I have often been asked to translate from the policeman's broken english, into (broken) Arabic because the policeman speaks no Arabic and there is no translator available.

Arabic is one of two official languages in Israel.


No comments: