Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More Macy Gray facebook madness

My last post on Macy Gray was originally going to be elaborate with lots of screen captured comments for or against her Tel Aviv concerts. Then I figured you could go read some of the responses yourselves. Then I realized how long I had taken to read the responses and take some screen captures, and how much I prefer visual posts. So now, I will put up some comments I found interesting in case you aren't gonna read all the  responses on Macy's facebook page.  

So again, a reminder of what Macy asked her fans:
I'm booked for 2 shows in TelAviv. I'm getting alot of letters from activists urging/begging me to boycott by NOT performing in protest of Apartheid against the Palestinians. What the Israeli government is doing to the Palestinians is disgusting, but I wana go. I gotta lotta fans there I dont want to cancel on and I dont know how my NOT going changes anything. What do you think? Stay or go?
And the comments...
A totally tangential (and factually unfounded) comment. Also, did she not read what Macy actually asked people to comment on?

 A commonly-voiced rationale encouraging people to speak your mind in the boycotted country, rather than boycotting:

Crucial. Palestinians can't go see the show, but Israelis can tramp around and steal land in the West Bank. 

 Yes, play in Palestine. The occupation strangles culture in the West Bank and Gaza. I wish more artists would challenge that strangulation by bringing their talents to Palestine. 

 Yes. 

That's just a partial example of how the tide turned in the comments. This particular string of pro-BDS comments was about 3x that long, but my screen isn't that big. 

You don't get it. Macy will be soothing the souls of Israelis who don't live under a cruel occupation. They aren't having a rough time, unless they are Israelis who are Arab, African, Mizrahim, or any other minority.
Your lives are full of political acts. Our acts affect people, which in turn make them political.  We don't need a time out from reality, but we need to acknowledge what the reality is and listen to people who have suggested ways to change it.


Update: There were 300 comments on Macy Gray's blog when I drafted this post and went to eat dinner. Now its up to more than 580. My post also went up on Mondoweiss, and I keep seeing tweets telling people to go tell Macy Gray what they think. 

No comments: