Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Friday, February 04, 2011

New look

The old template I was using on this blog was driving me crazy. From day one I never got it to look the way I wanted, it was fairly colorful and busy, and it acted so finicky when I tried to make HTML changes. So I acted on impulse and decided to change things around. 

Let me know if you like the changes, color scheme, header image, widgets in sidebar, etc. I'd love your feedback. 

Also, I was having a terrible time picking an image for the header. I have a LOT of images of Palestine at home (in the States) on a hard drive, but I don't have many images with me on this computer.  So out of my limited supply, I was debating between two images. I actually prefer the image I didn't choose but the dimensions weren't right. I couldn't crop the height of the picture enough without cropping it right about their heads, so it resulted in a really long header. Here is the one I thought about using:


Here is the current one, to give you some perspective on the size of the headers in comparison with one another: 

Whats's your preference? Let me know in the comments.  

6 comments:

Jonathan Kroening said...

like it a lot better overall. would stick with the header you have, the other one is just too tall. nice work sam.

Jaron Latona said...

Like the new design. Very simple and not distracting. As far as the header goes, I think an image that says something would be cool (like the other image). Perhaps a solution is to just have your camera nearby and ready, and if something interesting catches your attention (say, a Christian, a Muslim and an Israeli Jew in peaceful conversation?) then snap a photo with those dimensions in mind? No reason why you absolutely have to settle for an image right this second, right? :)

Always enjoy reading your stuff.

Will Henry said...

Sam, I think it could be useful to add a recommended reads side bar for those that want to learn more...maybe with the corresponding links to amazon.

Brit said...

The new look is definitely a positive change. I think you should go for a banner image that's a bit more contextually relevant (but I'm not crazy about the 2nd option either). Is it possible to somehow illustrate "Do Unto Others"? IDF or settlers interacting with Tuwani villagers? (most likely showing the opposite of "do unto others"). Also, didn't your old title header have a short subhead describing the blog? I think that is really valuable. The other thing I noticed is that the About Me sidebar doesn't "pop" as much as it should, especially if you don't have the blog title subhead. Maybe bold the text? But anyways, overall for sure an improvement!

Samuel Nichols said...

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I will heed the suggestions as I work on improving the look of the blog. Thanks again.

andimariep said...

Yea, I agree with Brit and Jaron above. But I definitely prefer these colors and general look.