Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Friday, November 05, 2010

Quote of the Day

"Palestinians' wishes are simple -- we want what is ours, our land, with true sovereignty. We want freedom, equality and civil rights -- what Martin Luther King, Jr. called in his Letter from a Birmingham Jail "our constitutional and God-given rights." - Ayed Morrar

Ayed Morrar was the leader of a successful nonviolent resistance movement which forced the Israeli army to reroute the separation wall around a Palestinian town, Budrus. The town has risen to relative fame as a new documentary film is making it's way to screenings and film festivals. Check out the upcoming screenings here.

I haven't had a chance to see the film yet, but I plan to see it in Chicago in mid-November. If anything, I hope it reminds me that nonviolence can be successful, and that there are more Palestinian villages that need support and attention to help regain their lands that have been swallowed by the separation wall.

No comments: