Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Video: Israeli soldiers attack and arrest Palestinian shepherds

I blogged in January about this incident, but to recap and to 'link' you in:
On the morning of Thursday 7 January 2010, Israeli soldiers attacked and injured Palestinian shepherds from the Musa Rabai family, as they grazed their sheep in Humra valley, near the village of At-Tuwani in the South Hebron Hills. Five members of the family were hospitalized. Before leaving the area, the soldiers arrested one of the shepherds, Musab Musa Rabai. Raba'i was interrogated and tortured for four hours.
Here's the first press release I posted.
Here's my account of the shepherd's torture, Musab Musa Rabai, at the hands of the Israeli military.

We also have an edited video. I don't know if you remember, but I was present at this event, and it was jarring to say the least. I still shake as I watch this video, for a lot of reasons, I think. The cries for mercy by the shepherds' mother, the sounds of the tear gas and concussion grenades, the stories of torture after Musab was arrested, the fact that these people were attacked for trying to feed their sheep, etc, etc, etc.

I hope that video makes you shudder (in the nicest and most life-changing way possible) as you see the Israeli military using extreme force against unarmed shepherds, not more than 200 yards from their house.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

This is terrible. There are no words.

Samuel Nichols said...

I agree. Thanks for reading and watching. Not having words is better than not knowing.