Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Thursday, November 05, 2009

A Letter to My Representative Tom McClintock Regarding HRes 867

See my two previous blogposts to provide context on HRes 867

Dear Congressman McClintock,


You recently voted in favor of HRes 867. I strongly disagree with this vote, and as your constituent (a voter in Auburn, CA) I would like you to hear why.

The Goldstone Report is being discredited by Israel and other nations which support Israel, including the United States. Choosing to not give credence to this report, written by a committee headed by respected Judge Goldstone, himself a Jew and a Zionist whose daughter lives in Israel, is unacceptable. This is a balanced report which documents human rights violations, war crimes, and crimes against humanity committed by both the Israeli military and Hamas militants during Operation Cast Lead in Dec/Jan.

I have read the report and find HRes 867 factually inaccurate and strongly biased in support of Israel. It seems the resolution attempts to absolve Israel of any guilt or responsibility, an attempt to place them above the rule of international law. The fact is that Israel bombed UN facilities, schools, mosques, and a UN compound. Israel also used white phosphorous. I am not dismissing the crimes committed by Hamas, such as launching rockets at unarmed civilians; but Israel did the very same thing, and killed many more civilians in the process. Both need to be held accountable, Israel cannot be exempt.

I am currently working in the West Bank, and am daily documenting human rights abuses prepetrated by the Israeli military and Israeli settlers, as a result of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank. The fact that the U.S. government and the U.S. Congress turn a blind eye to the crimes of Israel, is deeply disturbing to me as a citizen of the United States, but more significantly, as a human being.

I would like to hear your reasoning for voting in favor of HRes 867.

Thank you for reading this, and I would be more than willing to be in touch with you about issues in Israel and Palestine, as I am a constituent of yours who is deeply involved in the politics and issues of this region.

Please be in touch.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I am very proud of you. I pray that I might be shocked by McClintock actually doing due dilligence in researching the background on this. Don't loose heart Sam.