Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

News/Media Sources

Quite a few people in the past weeks, as things in Gaza began to turn tumultuous, began to ask for websites where they could find news from the ground. U.S. media, as well as government, has oft been called pro-Israeli, pro-Zionist, anti-Arab. In my eyes, I have seen more balanced coverage of the events in Gaza than I had seen in the past from U.S. sources, but nonetheless, I also look to alternative media sources for news about Israel/Palestine.

This is not a comprehensive list, rather, it is a list of sources that I regularly check:

Electronic Intifada

Haaretz
Ma'an News Agency
Palestinian News Network
Ynet News
International Middle East Media Center (IMEMC)
NY Times
Al Jazeera
BBC World
Common Dreams

Some of these are Israeli, some Palestinian, and some from the West. Hope this helps you to get as clear a picture of the current situation and the conflict as you can.