Do Unto Others focuses on the Middle East, (nonviolent) social movements, and how I make sense of my place in the world. I'm currently based in Cairo, Egypt doing peacebuilding and community development.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Life (version 2.0)

I am committed to working with Christian Peacemaker Teams for the next 3 years. I am headed to the South Hebron Hills in Palestine (also known as the West Bank or the Occupied Palestinian Territories). The village where I will be living is called At-Tuwani.

The work of Christian Peacemaker Teams in Palestine involves accompanying shepherds, farmers, and schoolchildren as they face the threat of violence while going about their daily lives. We also call the oppressors and the armed actors to accountability.

Of course there are more specifics and more things I don't know about the work yet, but that is the skeleton.

I'll be roughing it in the village, no running water, 5 people sleeping in a room, limited electricity...but I am eager to do this work. I am eager to practically engage the question:
What would happen if Christians devoted the same discipline and self-sacrifice to nonviolent peacemaking that armies devote to war?"



p.s. Shortly I will be posting two things: [1] A statement of conviction (why I am called to do this work) and [2] A support letter. So be on the lookout for those.